Flying with Alcohol: Here’s Everything You Need to Know About Carrying Alcohol on a Plane
Alcohol often has its own way to make it on our suitcases whether we are bringing it as a gift, souvenir, or even for ourselves. But before you stash it in your carry-on, you might wanna first brush up on some basic rules of flying with Alcohol. There are a lot of misconceptions that are just flying around in the air about traveling with booze on a flight. So, let’s clear up that confusion by going through some basic rules about flying with alcohol. Additionally, you can visit AirfareBooking to get your hands on affordable international flights from Canada to India.
In this blog post, we’ll clear all your misconceptions about flying with alcohol and provide you with basic answers to some frequently asked questions about carrying alcohol on a flight. (And if you are still looking for cheap flight deals, then give AirfareBooking a search to book cheap flight tickets to India from Canada while you’re here.)
Are you allowed to bring alcohol on a flight?
Yes, generally passengers are allowed to bring alcohol on a flight, both in carry-on and checked baggage as long as they follow any applicable rule. However, one should be of legal drinking age in order to carry alcohol with them on a flight. As per the regulations, alcohol must be transported only in its original and unopened container. Also, according to FAA regulations, passengers are prohibited from consuming any kind of alcohol that isn’t served by the airline itself.
Can the passenger bring any type of alcohol on the flight?
If you are bringing any kind of alcohol that is unopened and 140 proof or less, then yes, you can safely carry your alcohol on board. However, as per Federal Aviation Administration, anything over 140 proof is strictly prohibited.
Here are some Regulations for Carry-on Baggage
- Any kind of wine or hard alcohol is allowed in your carry-on or cabin baggage as long as the quantity is not larger than 100 ml (3.4 oz.).
- Generally, liquids are not allowed to place in carry-on baggage. But, an exception is made on the carry-on rule for wine and other spirits bought in duty-free stores beyond the checkpoint of security.
- Passengers that are flying internationally such as in Canada, the United States, and Europe with a connecting flight are allowed to carry alcohol that is even in excess of 100 ml (3.4 ounces) in their carry-on bag. However, it is only permitted on the condition that the liquid was purchased in duty-free shops and put down in tight, secure, tamper-evident bags (STEBs).
What are the Alcohol Restrictions for Checked Bags?
Any alcoholic beverage containing less than 24% of alcohol is allowed in your checked baggage. If the total amount of alcohol lies between the beverage 24% and 70% then 5L per person is allowed to carry internationally and 10L within the EU (The European Union). However, alcoholic beverages containing more than 70% of alcohol in them are strictly prohibited.
Are the passengers allowed to drink on the plane?
No, it’s strictly against Federal regulations for the passenger to open their own alcohol bottle and drink from it. Basically, the passengers are not allowed to drink alcohol that is not directly served to them by the flight attendant.
Is the Alcohol brought from a duty-free shop allowed or not?
Yes, passengers are allowed to buy alcohol in a duty-free shop and carry it in their carry-on luggage. However, that alcohol will not travel with you the entire way home if you have a connecting flight. This is mainly because one needs to pass through a TSA checkpoint in order to move to the next leg which means your bags are once again subjected to the restrictions of carry-on. Thus, if you are carrying any liquid that is over the 3.4-ounce limit then we suggest you shift it into your checked bags.
Also, just to be on the safe side you can purchase your alcohol at the last airport so you don’t have to worry about the security check-in. Hence, book direct flights from Canada to India with AirfareBooking to avoid the extra carry-on restrictions.
How can you pack alcohol?
- Firstly, it is very important to realize that whether you are bringing an expensive wine or a local beer, intact packing, is gonna ensure that your alcohol makes it home in one piece.
- Put down the sealed bottles and place them in a plastic bag. Wrapping them in a plastic bag will help in the safety of your other things in case the bottle is broken.
- Packed the bottles between the clothes to prevent them from any damage. For extra protection place the bottles in the centre of your bags.
So, the next time you are thinking of flying, feel free to bring any expensive wine or exotic spirits home. Just follow these aforementioned regulations for bringing alcohol on a flight and you are good to go. Also, if you are looking for affordable flight deals, then you can visit AirfareBooking any time to book affordable flights from Canada to India.
Also Read: Ultimate Guide About Carry-on Weight Limit For International Travelers